The Virtual Business Revolution
Virtual Reality is used for multiple applications. Although it is known for the games, the virtual reality actually has multiple advantages. It is the process that is developed to create an illusion of presence of the equipment, location and machinery that is not really there, but makes the user feel that they are the part of it. It works on the process of simulating the sense of users with the help of control and interactivity. The interactive environment further adds to the process of virtual reality.
- i) Military: Military has adopted various virtual reality applications to train the three services of military: army navy, and air force. Virtual reality applications help in training the soldiers for the dangerous combat situation and help them develop the right psychology needed for such situation. The use of these applications does not pose any kind of danger to the soldiers, and yet it helps in teaching them the basics of the combat situation. Also, simulation programs are available for flight, vehicle and medic training to prepare the soldiers for the future field. Another place where the virtual reality applications are used involves the treatment of post-traumatic stress disorder. The applications can be developed to help them understand what triggers their conditions and can help them in adjusting to the change.
- ii) Education: The second area where virtual reality applications are useful is the education. Virtual reality education helps the students in getting the hands-on view of the education. The student can get education through these programs from anywhere in the world, and it lets them interact with the others as well in the 3-D environment. The virtual reality applications have been successfully adopted in teaching of astronomy where the programs have been developed to give a three dimensional view of the solar system. The applications have also been implemented in the health care system where surgery simulations are being implemented. The treatment of phobia, robotic surgery and development of skills are other uses Virtual reality applications in education. Such surgeries give the sufficient skills to the doctors and nurses to treat their patient without harming or endangering any lives because of their ignorance.
- iii) Fashion: The use of virtual reality in the fashion industry is not clearly evident, but fashion industry has modeled many virtual reality applications to suit their purpose. These applications are used to develop the virtual fashion stores where the customers can generate the three dimensional avatars of themselves and design the cloth according to their choices. The applications have also been developed to present a three dimensional portfolio or to conduct a three dimensional fashion shows for the prospective clients.
- iv) Heritage and Culture: Virtual reality applications are also utilized to develop the three dimensional settings for the museums and the historical visitor centers, where the users can interact with the system and learn about the heritage and culture of a place. The use of virtual reality applications in such systems ensure that the customer is engaged in the system and feels the part of the reality system. While earlier system was more passive, virtual reality application involves active participation and engagement of the clients. They also appeal to the children whose interest in such places is dwindling every day. The various heritage places and sites that can be shown using such applications include monuments, sculptures, caves, historical buildings, towns, villages etc.
- v) Business: Many of the businesses are adopting the virtual reality application These applications include the virtual tour of their facility or product, training and education of employees and the virtual view of the product. The virtual reality applications provide the cost-effective method of developing and marketing a product/service among the customers. The customer likes to get the 360 degree view of the products and services offered by the company, and the company gets to test the features and impact of the offered product and services on the customers. These programs also help in identifying the design stage problems.
- vi) Engineering: The first and biggest use of the virtual reality application is in engineering. The use 3D modeling and visualization of the developed model helps the engineer to gauge the efficiency of their designs. Also, these applications are suitable for whittling out any flaws and potential risk situation. The changes can be made in the design stage itself, preventing the necessity of the rework after the project is created, thereby saving both money and the time. Sometimes, the virtual reality applications are used at the design stage itself to envisage how the end product will look like before the implementation begins.
- vii) Sports: Sports is another field where the virtual reality applications are used. The programs are developed to help train the sportsperson in the games like golf, cricket, cycling etc. The technology helps in development of the skills required for the game and fine-tuning of the techniques of the games. The athletes with the help of simulation programs are able to test their skills and understand the weak points of their sporting ability. The simulations have been developed to help the players understand the nuances of the sports. Another use of these programs in sports industry is in development of the sporting clothes and equipments. The right clothes, shoes and equipments go a long way in ascertaining the performance of the player. The virtual reality applications provide the perfect platform to design, test and develop the products which are innovative and support the players’ performance. Innovation is much easier using the three dimensional programs.
- viii) Architecture: Another area where virtual reality application is used is the field of architecture. The virtual reality application allows the user and the developed to tour the building virtually before development, thereby seeing the direct depiction of the design in the real time. The user can appreciate the structure, the design and the color combinations better when shown the 3D view. This process, like engineering, helps in saving the cost and time required for the changes in the process at the later stage owing to the fault in design or color scheme not appealing to the customers.
- ix) Media: Media is another platform where virtual reality applications have been adopted. The world of art, TV, films and books have accepted the technology and utilized it to enhance the experience of the users. The virtual reality has provided inspiration for many of the stories like The Matrix, the LawnmowerMan, Dr. Who, star trek etc. These movies have utilized the concept of the virtual reality and included them in the storyline. The VR based movies are also developed. The special effects provided in the movies come up because of the virtual reality programs. Similarly these programs have also been used in the books and music. In music, virtual reality applications are developed to simulate the musical instruments which can then be used to create the music in the 3-D atmosphere of virtual reality programs. The person can interact with these programs and develop new composition or practice the performance. Virtual reality is also used for development of the film sets which are then utilized in the movies.
- x) Telecommunication: Although the virtual reality has not been utilized for the telecommunication process, it indeed has the potential to be used for the same. Currently the telecommunication happens over voice and 2-D videos. The 3-D videos can help in having virtual one-on-one conversation over the virtual reality application. The process will be like having the real conversation instead of the conversation with the video or with the phone. The possibility for the same is being explored and developed.
The biggest advantage of using these virtual reality applications is that these applications helps in teaching the skills and provides the place to practice one’s skills without using the real environment. Thus no harm comes to any of the users of the product, while the feeling of being in the real-time environment gives the confidence to the users. Another advantage of using these applications is the real time collaboration by different people. The applications can be used by the different client at the same time, allowing the scope of the multiple visits and collaboration.
The biggest challenge before complete adoption of the virtual reality application is the underdeveloped technology. The technology required for the process is not fully developed and does not provide enough scope for the complete adoption of technology in above-mentioned application. Another challenge is that most of the virtual applications are online and involve a huge bandwidth. Using such bandwidth is neither a suitable option, not economical in the developing country. Thus before the 3-D technology is fully adopted, the virtual reality applications need more research and work.
There is no doubt about the fact that the virtual reality applications are the future of the computer based industry. These applications will help in letting the users experience the situations, buildings, products, education, etc. in real time and will be used everywhere. All that is needed is the complete development and enhancement of the technology.